Autumn is the perfect season to plant some herbs and spices in your house, or garden.
Planting them home, might not let grow as large as they would in an open garden, however, none of their beneficial properties will be lost. There are a truly amazing variety of plants that can really thrive within the comfort of your home.
If you’re considered planting new vegetables and herbs at home, here is a detailed list of advice that can help you grow your spices and herbs in the best way possible:
1. When you are buying the soil, you should be careful, as these plants grow better in soil that is poor in organic matter.
2.You should also mix your potting with sand (with a ratio of 3:1), or buy the soil for growing cactuses, which already has sand in it.
3. Your pot should have a diameter of at least 15 inches with a drainage hole in the bottom of it.
4. When your plants become larger, they need to be replanted to other pots that have more room for their growth. That way your harvest will be richer.
5. The majority of these plants like water, however, you should only water them when their soil becomes dry.
6. These plants like to be exposed to the sun, with daily temperatures of 16-21 C. They can also tolerate temperatures that are five degrees higher.
7. You should also make sure that the night temperature is lower by 12 C , so that you can better simulate real outdoor conditions.
8. If the temperature gets higher, you should be aware that the plants will need more watering.
9. You should keep your plants outside on your balcony, or windowsill, during those warm autumn days. Also, make sure that you regularly clear the dust of their leaves.
10. You should make sure that your plant doesn’t get too much water or fertilizers. Also, let your plant get enough sunlight. If you don’t follow these rules, your plant will not grow well and its quality, taste, and nutritional value will decrease.
Bay is a perennial plant, which can be easily grown indoors.
The Bay plant needs to be positioned facing the west or east side, but it also requires proper air circulation. That’s why you should leave sufficient space between the bay and other plants.
The Rosemary plant is a perennial plant, which is very resistant to drought and they need the maximum amount of sunlight they can get.
The rosemary is great for treating gout and rheumatism, but also restoring the body’s natural energy and improving memory.
The mint plant shouldn’t be exposed to direct sunlight. You can put it on a windowsill, or balcony, that faces the south or west side during autumn and winter, and transfer it to the east side during the warmer seasons.
Basil is a one-year herbaceous plant, the best indoor types of which are the African Blue and Greek basil. The African Blue is very similar to the Thai and Asian basil due to its narrow leaves that have blue-purple streaks along the leaf veins and same-colored stems.
Basil thrives in heat and sunlight, which is why you should leave it facing the south side.
Basil is used to protect the blood vessels and heart, but also to improve the immunity, due to its powerful antibiotic and antioxidant properties.
The Oregano is a perennial plant, whose most valuable types are wild and Greek oregano, and they are very easy to keep because they are very resistant to all sorts of conditions.
The Oregano needs a lot of sunlight, which is why it is best placed on a windowsill or balcony that’s facing south.
The Oregano is a strong antibacterial agent, due to its carvachol content.
Parsley is a biennial plant which prefers direct sunlight exposure. However, they grow more slowly when they are positioned facing the east and west sides.
The parsley spice is a great natural source of folic acid and antioxidants, both of which preserve the health of your heart.
The Sage is a perennial plant, which is very resistant to all sorts of conditions, but is also wild. It prefers a lot of sunlight and it can survive in places where the air is dry, like apartments and flats.
The sage is used for relieving pains and fevers, due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties, which restore, refresh and soothe your organism.
Mint is a perennial plant, whose best types are peppermint and spearmint, and it can be used to fight allergies, asthma and inflammations. The spearmint’s flavor is milder than the peppermint’s, which means that you will have to use much more to add some flavor to your meals. The mint plants spread fast and wide, just like weeds, so keep in mind that you will have to plant it in a separate pot, so that it doesn’t overtake other platns.